As a member of this versatile group of Full Stack Engineers, the Reliability Engineer will be on the front line for maintaining and expanding the capabilities of many and varied systems. The team exists in the space between traditional systems administration and development and seeks to merge the capabilities from both disciplines.
– Primary engineering and operational support for multiple large distributed software applications including much of the foundational infrastructure in the firm.
– Improving all aspects of software reliability, including better monitoring, alerting and documentation.
– Engaging with our software engineering teams on support issues and improvements to our tools, processes, and software.
– Acting as a conduit between infrastructure and development teams, being sympathetic to the concerns and priorities of both.
– Gathering and analyzing metrics from both operating systems and applications to assist in performance tuning and fault finding.
– Educating and evangelizing DevOps best practices to the company at large.
– A bachelor’s degree in computer science or another highly technical, scientific discipline.
– Ability to program (structured and OO) with one or more high level languages (such as Python, Java, C/C++, Go).
– In-depth knowledge and experience in at least one of: host based networking, Linux/UNIX administration, systems programming, distributed systems, databases, cloud computing, and a desire to learn more.
– The ability to leverage off the shelf and open source systems and utilities to provision production systems in a variety of domains, especially for multi-tenant use.
– A proven track record of automation and an algorithmic approach to solving problems.
– A proactive approach to spotting problems, areas for improvement, performance bottlenecks, etc.
– The ability to understand the inherent trade-offs between various software architectures as it relates to performance, resiliency/fault tolerance, load balancing, data consistency.
– Ability to profile and debug applications in real time.
Additional Preferred Skills:
– Experience with public cloud technologies (AWS, GCP, or Azure).
– Experience with authentication and encryption technologies like TLS, Kerberos and GSSAPI.
– Networking experience, analyzing packet dumps, multicast routing on hosts, packet filtering.
– OS/kernel experience such as familiarity with OS tunables, log analysis.
– Experience with automated configuration management tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack.
– Experience with distributed storage technologies like NFS, HDFS, Ceph, S3 as well as dynamic resource management frameworks (for ex: Mesos, Kubernetes, Yarn).
– Experience with enterprise messaging systems and concepts (ex. Kafka, JMS, MQ Series).
*Will relocate the right candidate. Will Sponsor Visa’s. Will only consider candidates from top tier computer science universities and/or individuals with a stellar GPA. Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree from a top computer science program with a GPA of 3.5 or higher. PhD preferred. Top computer science program preferred (Carnegie Mellon University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/MIT, Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, Cornell University, University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Princeton University, University of Washington, University of Texas-Austin, Georgia Institute of Technology, California Institute of Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, etc.
Keywords: New York NY Jobs, Reliability Engineer, Linux, UNIX, Scripting, Open Source, New York Recruiters, Information Technology Jobs, IT Jobs, New York Recruiting
If you are an employer and recruiting for similar IT professionals / positions, please contact our Technical Recruiters at Next Step Systems.
We are a national IT Recruiting Firm / Agency specializing in full-time direct hire Information Technology employment opportunities.
Company Will Sponsor Visas! Company Will Relocate Candidates!
“PLEASE DO NOT APPLY” If You Are A Consulting Firm, Third Party Recruiter Or Seeking Corp-To-Corp; W-2 Direct Hire Only.