Next Step Systems
Linux Systems Engineer, Chicago, IL
A proprietary trading with three locations in Chicago, London, & New York City, is seeking talented and self-motivated Systems Engineer to join a growing technology team in Chicago. The ideal candidate will have worked within the financial industry with a robust background in Linux design, implementation and support. The candidate will be added to an existing IT team where they will interact with all IT functional areas (e.g., architecture, design, network engineering, Helpdesk/Desktop support, application development and support). The candidate will be working in a dynamic, heterogeneous environment and must have an extensive technical background including experience in troubleshooting, monitoring, maintenance and networking. The successful candidate must be highly self-motivated, excel at multitasking, and comfortable working in a demanding, state of the art trading environment.
– Assist in designing, implementing and supporting a 24/7 Linux trading environment.
– Linux deployment, administration, performance tuning, monitoring.
– Automate any and all tasks that can be automated.
– Data center management.
– On-call for overnights, weekends and holidays on a rotational basis with openness to change.
– Support other key initiatives as the business dictates.
– BA degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Science or similar technical field preferred.
– Experience with Linux build automation tools such as Ansible, SaltStack, etc.
– Excellent written and verbal communication.
– Must be able to thoroughly document implementations, modifications and removals.
– Highly organized, self-motivated, able to multi-task, able to work independently as well as a team player.
– Must be willing to work some weekend shifts in support of maintenance and participate in On-call for overnights, weekends and holidays on a rotational basis with openness to change duties.
– Must have operations experience in 24/7 environments.
– Fluent in system scripting using Shell, Python, etc. with experience implementing automation and monitoring using shell scripting and other related tools.
– Ability to manage build environment, including familiarity with source control and standard build tools.
– Adept at managing virtualized environments using products and tooling from VmWare.
– Thorough knowledge (5+ years) of Linux (CentOS, Debian and/or RedHat) architecture, deployment, administration, networking, performance monitoring/tuning, security hardening, troubleshooting and production operations.
– Experience with managing storage appliances from vendors such as Netapp, 3par.
– Experience with packet sniffing applications (Snort, Wireshark, Netmon, etc.).
– Strong system configuration experience such as Ansible.
– Strong knowledge of Kickstart procedures.
– System monitoring experience (SNMP, Nagios, Librenms, etc.).
– Strong Linux/Unix networking knowledge required (knowledge of Cisco NXOS a plus).
– Experience with Source code control systems, and bug tracking systems like JIRA.
– Advanced TCP/IP and multicast knowledge.
Keywords: Chicago IL Jobs, Linux Systems Engineer, Linux, Shell, Python, Netapp, 3par, Snort, Wireshark, Netmon, Ansible, Kickstart, SNMP, Nagios, Librenms, Jira, Trading, Financial, Chicago Recruiters, Information Technology Jobs, IT Jobs, Chicago Recruiting
Company Will Relocate Candidates!
Looking to hire a Linux Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL or in other cities? Our IT recruiting agencies and staffing companies can help.
We help companies that are looking to hire Linux Systems Engineers for jobs in Chicago, Illinois and in other cities too. Please contact our IT recruiting agencies and IT staffing companies today! Phone 630-428-0600 ext 11 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.